Corn is a delicious quick bread that accompanies chilis, stews, soups, can be used for sandwiches (grilled cheese? Yes please) or numerous other things. It is a minimal effort, maximum result quick bread perfect for any chilly weather and can be gussied up to become a versatile dinner side.
This recipe was designed for my pumpkin challenge to accompany my Spicy Harvest Chili.
Prep Time: 5 min | Bake Time: 30 min
What You Need:
2t baking powder
1c pureed pumpkin
1c milk (I use almond)
1/4c sugar or honey
1/2 slivered jalapeño
What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside
3. Mix together pumpkin, sugar/honey, and milk and then stir into dry ingredients
**I did not add eggs to mine because pumpkin can be a substitute for eggs in baking recipes, however I will revisit this recipe and add eggs to let you know the different in quality**
4. Spoon batter into baking dish, I used a pie plate
5. Arrange the sliced jalapeño on top and press into dough gently
6. Bake for 30 min or until cracked and lightly brown with a knife coming out clean
With no eggs I felt it was still very delicious and could not tell the ingredient was omitted. It was dense and soft just like cornbread should be.